Give or take an hour or so, it has been one month, five days, and ten hours since we arrived home with DJ. And while I’ve tried to get back to my poor, neglected blog at least a dozen times since then, it seems like every time that I started to write that (a) it was almost 11pm, (b) I was exhausted, and (c) my attempt always dissolved into surfing the internet for information about tennis lessons or bouncy houses or some other DJ-related topic.
I don’t think that it is an exaggeration to say that pretty much everything has changed since we met DJ. While that is definitely true for both John and myself, probably a bit more so for me since I’m the one home with DJ now that John is back at work. I’ve gone from someone who pretty much operated on her own schedule for the last few years–minus the occasional demands from part-time work, the dogs, and extended family–to someone whose days pretty much revolve around someone else. Not that I’m complaining…the past few weeks have been the most amazing of my entire life, but it has been a lot of transition for all of us. I’ve just been trying really hard to give DJ as much structure as possible–especially during this difficult time of transition–and structure has been missing from my life in a big way since I stopped working full-time.
Rather than summing up everything that has happened in a single post–and so that I can actually publish a post after my long hiatus–I’ll just make the rest of this post a series of lists. Hopefully some of you will be inspired to add your own responses!
I know it’s early on, but these are some of my favorite things about being a new mom:
1. Family story time before bed–we’ve already blown through two Origami Yoda books and most of the way through the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid!
3. Telling DJ how awesome he is everyday
4. Going to the library & hanging out in the children’s section
5. Having an excuse to watch kids’ movies–although that’s wearing out surprisingly fast. If DJ had his way, he’d watch a movie with me during the day and watch the same movie with John at night everyday.
My New Guilty Pleasures
1. Watching The Regular Show
2. Miniature golf in the middle of a weekday
3. Ice cream (okay, that’s not a “new” guilty pleasure but somehow it tastes better with DJ around)
4. Buying books & toys for DJ
Things I Miss
1. Eating Indian food
2. My blissful ignorance of all things WWE
4. Choosing the radio station in the car
5. Watching non-children’s TV
I’m so grateful for all of my readers’ support and interest! I will get back to more regular posting as soon as I can. In the meantime, please feel free to add your own additions to the lists.